Building networks, improving public health
Who are we?
The Norwegian Network of Health Promoting Hospitals and Health Services (Norwegian HPH) is a professional academic network of hospitals and healthcare centres that collaborate with a focus on health promoting values, strategies, initiatives and activities to ensure better health for all.
The Norwegian Network of Health Promoting Hospitals and Health Services (Norwegian HPH) was established in 1998 as a national network belonging to the International network of health promoting hospitals and health services (HPH). Today, the network consists of members from all over Norway (see below), which include hospitals and health centers/organizations.
The HPH network follows principles of health promotion as described in the Ottawa charter on health promotion and the Vienna recommendations on Health Promoting Hospitals.
Being part of the Norwegian HPH network implies focusing on how health care and health services contribute to improved health for patients, employees and the general population. The network gives your organization a great opportunity to work with professionals whose aim is to strengthen and develop the work for better public health and health promotion.
Strategy and vision
Improving public health for all through the establishment of health promoting attitudes, values, communication processes, systems and standards. Read our Strategy and Action Plan 2013-2016 here (currently available in the Norwegian language only).
The purpose of the HPH network is to strengthen and develop efforts within public health. We contribute to improving public health through prevention and health promotion at all healthcare levels. Our values and research-based work involves patients, families, employees, and local community. Every individual is met on equal terms with belief in their inherent resources.
We are always looking for new ways to network and collaborate!
There are many exciting health promotion projects and events which both in progress and completed. The following institutions currently have information available online in English:
HPH is, in practice, a “network of networks.” This means that members contact one another and collaborate across disciplines, regions and organizations in a number of different ways. The network works because members want to learn from each other. This results in health-related work which becomes more than the sum of its parts.
Our member organizations
Members are current leaders in innovative healthcare. All members take health seriously, as well as the responsibility for creating a health promoting culture and community through conscious efforts at all levels, where the patient’s inherent resources are central.
How to join
Members support and seek to implement the principles presented in WHO documents and declarations, such as the Ottawa Charter, Budapest and Vienna declarations.
Becoming a member is easy and possible for anyone who wants to implement health promoting culture within their organization:
1. Membership must be rooted in the organization´s leadership. All applications must therefore be approved and signed by the department or organization’s leader.
2. Resources must be allocated to work within health promotion.
3. There are two types of membership: Ordinary HPH Member (hospital/health system), and Affiliated Member (unions, universities/colleges, etc).
4. Forms are to be filled out and returned to the National Secretariat for approval. They will then be forwarded to the International Secretariat in Copenhagen. Applications for ordinary membership can be found here. Applications for affiliate membership can be found here.
5. Pay the annual membership fee. This fee covers the membership fee for the international network, as well as operating costs for the Norwegian network.
6. After these steps are complete, you will receive a membership certificate.
Read more about our organization here!
Read more about our history here!
Read more about national collaboration (within Norway) here!
Read more about opportunities for international collaboration here!
Norwegian HPH, Akershus University Hospital
Postboks 1000, 1478 Lørenskog
Tel. +47 905 29 611